Friday, December 14, 2012

(The) Silver Linings Playbook


I am on this constant search for finding the "(500) Days of Summer" of every year - the under-the-radar rom com not backed by a big studio but with a refreshingly new take on the oldest genere - and this year's search took me to Ruby Sparks and Silver Linings Playbook.

Coming highly recommended by both Berardinelli and Ebert, I tried to download a reasonable print of  the latter (yeah, despite it headlining with Bradley Cooper) but in vain. That is when I realised it is based on a "best-selling" book by Matthew Quick and a quick search for the ePub proved more successful than my earlier quest. Downloading the book onto my iPad3 (there I flaunted it again), I prepared myself to get overwhelmed.

30 pages into the book, I argued with myself that this is one of those books that would divide people right down the middle - either you'd love it or hate it. After completing the book, I feel like a complete fool as I am stuck exactly at the middle. I love the book for its quirkiness, its endearing lead character Pat Peoples and the way it constantly alternates between downright funny and lump-in-your-throat melancholy. What I didn't enjoy was the fact that you know exactly how the book is gonna end and the way one gets manipulated throughout the 2nd part towards that end. Also, if you're not a big fan of football (not soccer) or Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi / Kenny G, you could find the middle sections very tiring.

I'm really, really curious now to see how this book has been translated to screen and how on earth has Bradley Cooper managed to pull off Pat People. Please, please let Anupam Kher not be Cliff.

3.5 / 5

No comments: