Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Random ramblings on sequels...and TDKR

You know what they say about never stretching a good thing... that's my exact take on sequels. You can almost always never win when you do a sequel of a successful movie. The reasons are aplenty: often the initial hit was mostly by fluke...Many a times the follow-up is so hyped up that its almost impossible to live up to the sky-high expectations. Even if its otherwise, why spoil a good thing, why not go out on a high?
I can list out so many films I liked that went steadily downhill - Pirates, Shrek, Spider-man, Speed, Fast and the Furious, Mission Impossible (before Part 4)  - that I still can't comprehend how the studios commissioned the mind numbing/manipulative sequels that followed and how the gullible public continued to set the cash registers tinkling for these tired franchises.

In the midst of this mayhem, it's such a relief to see the odd Part 2/3 movie which is an improvement on the original...Like The Bourne flicks, Toy Story and now Nolan's Batman series. Batman Begins was brilliant but The Dark Knight raised the bar way beyond anyone's wildest achievements. My first reaction when I heard about a Part 3 was ARE THEY FREAKIN' MAD? There was no way TDKR could hope to top TDK but if early reviews are any indication, looks like Part 3 isn't the disaster I feared it would become, as James here indicates.

The only catch: the 165 mts running time (with no songs too)

Down nostalgia lane: The Dark Knight was my 1st movie in IMAX (London...sigh...) and the 1st movie both me and the OH gave a 5/5 rating.

No comments: