Sunday, August 29, 2004

GWH - 3

SEAN
Well, are you going out again?

WILL
I don't know.

SEAN
Why not?

WILL
Haven't called her.

SEAN
Jesus Christ, you are an amateur.

WILL
I know what I'm doing. She's different from the other girls I met. We have a really good time. She's smart, beautiful, fun...

SEAN
So Christ, call her up.

WILL
Why? So I can realize she's not so smart. That she's boring. You don't get it. Right now she's perfect, I don't want to ruin that.

SEAN
And right now you're perfect too. Maybe you don't want to ruin that.

Will says nothing.

SEAN (cont'd)
Well, I think that's a great philosophy. Will, that way you can go through your entire life without ever having to really know anybody.

Sean looks directly at Will, who looks away. A beat.

SEAN (cont'd)
My wife used to turn the alarm clock off in her sleep. I was late for work all the time because in the middle of the night she'd roll over and turn the damn thing off. Eventually I got a second clock and put it under my side of the bed, but it got to where she was gettin' to that one too. She was afraid of the dark, so the closet light was on all night. Thing kept me up half the night. Eventually I'd fall asleep, out of sheer exhaustion and not wake up when I was supposed to cause she'd have already gotten to my alarms.

Will smiles, Sean takes a beat.

SEAN (cont'd)
My wife's been dead two years, Will. And when I think about her, those are the things I think about most. Little idiosyncrasies that only I knew about. Those made her my wife. And she had the goods on me too. Little things I do out of habit. People call these things imperfections Will. It's just who we are. And we get to choose who we're going to let into out weird little worlds. You're not perfect. And let me save you the suspense, this girl you met isn't either. The question is, whether or not you're perfect for each other. You can know everything in the world, but the only way you're findin' that one out is by giving it a shot. You sure won't get the answer from an old fucker like me. And even if I did know, I wouldn't tell you.

No comments: